Any BC Family Hearing Resource Society family is able to access the various programs we offer during the year. Some programs are offered in various locations throughout the province to increase accessibility. We also offer the opportunity to join us online for many of our workshops and classes. With a wide variety of programs, they offer the opportunity for families and children to connect with each other, learn more in a fun environment and become a part of a very special community. We are always interested in finding out what our families are interested in; please contact us to share your thoughts about future classes and workshops.
Our FOUNDATIONS Workshop is designed to strengthen families’ knowledge of their child’s hearing/deafness and how it relates to their language development. The workshop also aims to equip families with the knowledge they need to make well-informed decisions and strategies to support their child’s progress. It is a 2-day program that is led by Early Interventionists.
- October 30 & November 6, 2021 (Online only)
- May 7 & 14, 2022 (In-Person only)
Online: ASL Evening Classes
Our ASL evening classes provide an opportunity for parents to learn language & skills, as a group, appropriate for their children at their stage of development. It also offers parents the chance to get to know one another in an environment with shared goals. These sessions are open to other family and community members if space is welcome.
Stay tuned for 2021-2022 dates!
The Preschoolers Esteem & Emotional Readiness (PEER) program, developed by BC Family Hearing Resource Centre, is designed to educate parents about how to effectively advocate for their child’s specific needs as related to hearing loss/deafness in school settings. This consists of a monthly evening workshop for parents and a joint workshop for both parents and children at the end of the program. PEER is available to families one year prior to their child’s entrance into Kindergarten. Register HERE.
The list of topics discussed are below:
- Session 1 – Tuesday, October 5th, 2021, 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- NAVIGATING THE KINDERGARTEN TRANSITION
- Session 2 – Tuesday, October 19th, 2021, 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- EDUCATION FAIR
- Session 3 – Tuesday, November 2nd, 2021, 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- DEAF AND HARD OF HEARING CHILDREN IN THE CLASSROOM
- Session 4 – Tuesday November 16th, 2021, 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- EDUCATIONAL CONSIDERATIONS FOR DEAF AND HARD OF HEARING CHILDREN WITH DIVERSE ABILITIES
- Session 5 – Tuesday, December 7th, 2021, 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- ACCESS: WHAT IS IT & HOW IS IT ACHIEVED? (PART 1)
- Session 6 – Tuesday, January 11th, 2022, 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- ACCESS: WHAT IS IT & HOW IS IT ACHIEVED? (PART 2)
- Session 7 – Tuesday, February 1st, 2022, 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- SOCIAL-EMOTIONAL DEVELOPMENT & CHILD SELF-ADVOCACY
- Session 8 – Tuesday, March 1st, 2022, 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- PARENT ADVOCACY
- Session 9 – Tuesday, April 5th, 2022, 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- TEAM MEETINGS, INDIVIDUAL EDUCATION PLANS (IEP’S) & BEYOND