The BC Family Hearing Resource Society strives to help every child reach his or her fullest communication potential. We provide family-centered services** beginning as early in the child’s life as possible and are committed to individual choices.
- The BC Family Hearing Resource Centre offers support and resources throughout British Columbia to deaf and hard-of-hearing children, their families and community service providers.
- The Surrey Early Speech and Language Program offers services to families with children who have speech and language learning challenges and live in the local community.
To be an internationally recognized Centre of Excellence in providing support and services to children who are deaf and hard-of-hearing and their families, a pioneer in the use of technology, and a training and research centre for professionals in the field.
- The relationship of parents and Early Interventionists is one of an equal partnership.
- We consider the needs and strengths of the entire family, not just the child.
- We respect and support the decisions parents make.
- We provide full and unbiased information to families.
- We support the communication options parents choose.
- We make decisions based on research, our own clinical experience and input from families.
- We are continuously evolving and open-minded.
Respect for Diversity
- We serve individuals and families with diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
Caring, Compassion and Empathy
- We recognize the sensitive nature of the services we provide.
- We provide an environment where families and children feel safe and supported.
**For evidence based research on family-centred care, please refer to these articles: