Most communities do not have the opportunity to provide specialized resources to families of deaf and hard of hearing children.
BCFHRC has been providing programs and services to outreach communities for over 20 years. Our outreach consultants travel across the province to provide support and specialized training to parents and community service providers in many areas related to deafness and hearing loss such as: assessments, goal development and intervention plans (Individualized Family Service Plans & Community Service Plans), and communication strategies specific to each individual child and family. Families from outside the lower mainland may also travel to the Centre to attend intensive education and support programs that typically last from two to five days.
We share our expertise by providing ongoing consultation, workshops/training for parents and professionals, resources and educational materials through our lending library; and by connecting families across the province. The innovative technology of the Virtual Hearing Resource Centre has enabled us the flexibility to deliver direct services to you and your community for your convenience.
Here is what some of our outreach families and community service providers had to say about our services:
“We have found a great deal of direction and support from the BC Family Hearing Resource Centre Program.” –Okanagan Family
“Our community’s team has really benefited from the excellent materials available through the Outreach Program. The staff reinforced what we were doing and provided helpful information to address our concerns.”
–Northern BC Speech & Language Pathologist
“My family and I really appreciate your participation on our team for our daughter. The tips and suggestions were all wonderful.” -Vancouver Island Parent
How Does the Process Work?
We work together with your community service providers (Speech Language Pathologist, Audiologist, Infant Development Consultant, Supported Child Development Consultant, Daycare and Preschool), as a team to provide continuity of services. Our experienced outreach staff include Speech & Language Pathologists, an Auditory Verbal Therapist, and Teachers of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.
Community Visits provide:
- Community support and education (workshops, in-services, professional training and resources)
- Family support and education (monitoring and follow-up of goals with the community team)
Centre Visits provide:
- Family support and education (Parent Support Group meetings, language groups, and individualized communication assessment and habilitation sessions including auditory verbal techniques)
- Opportunities to meet other parents of deaf and hard of hearing children (hearing aid and cochlear implant users)
- Advanced professional training for Speech Language Pathologists and Audiologists
- Cochlear implant training
- Partnerships training
- Reaching Out newsletter
- Sign language instruction
- Coordination with other agencies ie: Sunny Hill Health Centre
BC Children’s Hospital Teams